Friday, September 11, 2009

One is set free when one, finally, sets one's own standards...

In 'Home Comforts' , Cheryl Mendelson discusses 'standards of housekeeping' and how it is up to us individually to 'set our own standards'. I thought that concept is the foundation of all contentment in life. I don't say happiness because that's an elusive state of being, a fleeting thing, and so it should. Happiness is , and should be like Christmas, something worth waiting for. But contentment is a reasonable daily goal. And it comes from ' setting our own standards' in things. And of course one can start in the home.
Today was a good day, I took Lucy for some cross-country running first thing in the morning before school , then I painted for about six hours, in the afternoon I ventured into the backyard for some clearing up, and later I took Lucy to her second piano lesson. Also, I am very excited to report that my 'studio' is used by the older children for studying , and even by Nigel for some quiet moments to play Sudoku... I made a room for all to love! YES! That's meeting my standards...

8 comments:

Kylie said...

Thank you for this, Annamaria... I really like the idea of contentment. It makes us focus on the small blessings in our lives that often get overlooked in our excitement at the big goals.... but big jumps can sometimes mean big falls too and a steady diet of contentment in addition to this could be a wonderful cushion as well maybe? Sorry... just typing as I'm thinking ;) Have a lovely weekend. Kx

Melissa G said...

I like this philosophy. Am I content? Sometimes. But being that I am a 70 percenter in the things I do, it can be a relaxing attitude. Then again, there are times when I feel I will achieve more if I gave 100%. Finding balance is an on going mission.

Woollywotnots said...

Hi Annamaria, your posts are so thoughtprovoking. Well done on creating such a lovely room for all the family.

annamaria potamiti said...

Hi Kylie, Emjie and Katharine, I wish I could bake some cookies and have you over for a chat and coffee...That would surely bring some joyfull contentment!
Annamaria xx

Tammy said...

I have heard about this book before!Just popping by to say thanks for the Spinach Feta tips! : )

elk said...

contentment is worth the work...and it ebbs and flows, your studio is the place to be!

belinda marshall said...

u did well. so good that they can all be in there with you, happily busy!
and 6 hours of painting sound like the best recipe for contentment :)

Anna Bartlett said...

I SO needed to read this tonight! Thanks so much from the bottom of my home (covered in folding and washing up to be done - and here I am, blog surfing).