Monday, July 27, 2009

The heart of summer- is this it?

Had a special morning with Rea today, she will be leaving for a vacation soon , so we had a lovely lunch at the Vancouver Art Gallery coffee shop, just her and I. A totally different experience here, very sophisticated, one would expect some really exquisite classical music playing in the background- but still it is delightful as is. We don't do this often ,we probably should- just strollling through the art store is such a treat with all sorts of beauties to gaze upon and crave for. I briefly mentioned that a certain mug was rather beautiful and my daughter rushed off and bought it for me behind my back!! Isn't she lovely? And then it was back to the kitchen for more artwork and some cooking. These beats just fell so perfectly in this round dish I had to take a photo. The shapes of all the fruit and vegetables
seem to have inspired alot of my work lately.





This last one is my favorite, what is important is to have each pattern or each color strengthen another- something like playing music together... They do here- quite a lovely melody I think-

Its so hot I am thinking of painting like being on the beach, not thinking too much, because its too hot to think really, experiencing colour like a gentle cooling breeze- feeling it, rather than thinking of it-
Still whenever I open the refrigerator door I linger a moment longer- closer...Ah!
How do you keep cool?





9 comments:

Kylie said...

What a lovely day you've had, Annamaria! And what a gorgeous daughter you have :) My girls and I love just hanging out together too... I hope it always stays that way. I love the last painting the best too! but I totally agree, they work wonderfully together as a triptych :)
Now, I don't want to shock you, but it gets sooooo hot in Brisbane's summer that I used to run a bath of cold water and lie in it for half an hour to lower my body temperature... and then I feel normal for about half an hour and have to do it all over again! This, of course, was before the water crisis. Thankfully, we have a pool or I don't know what I'd do! It gets really really hot + humid here. Thanks for another fab post! :) K

woollywotnots said...

Sounds like a perfect day. All your blog posts sound perfect! :-) Your favourite piece is the one I'd choose as my favourite too. I love all the colours.

our little love nest said...

I miss the Pacific ocean's cool breeze. Here in the Carolinas it is so hot that the only saving grace is filling a pool with ice or air conditioning. I used to love going to Kits to watch sculptors, painters and other artists work on the beach. That sounds like such a perfectly lovely day with your daughter. I love your new work too! You really are a wonderful artist. I love watching your body of work grow. Your art is so inspirational to me. xoxo

annamaria potamiti said...

Thank you all, its so lovely to read your sweet comments- so encouraging- and of course it all means we should have a pool party!!!YEA..
Annamaria

Amanda Nicole said...

Gorgeous paintings! The VAG cafe is one of my favourite places to go for lunch on a sunny day. I don't know if they still do this, but there used to be a 3-piece ensemble playing lovely music on the patio at lunch hour.

annamaria potamiti said...

Yes, I really thought there was something missing!
Annamaria

Stacy said...

I like that mug, too. What a thoughtful daughter you have. Museum art stores are the best. The colors in your paintings do go well together, I like the metaphor of a lovely melody.

annamaria potamiti said...

Thank you goldenbird- she is leaving for Europe tomorrow-sniff,sniff-
Annamaria

●• Thereza said...

awww these are so lovely.. and what a nice daughter you have :)