Friday, January 1, 2010

Welcoming the New Year on my kitchen table-

It's true, my life revolves around my kitchen table.

Happily.

I cook, eat, read, write, blog, paint, draw, crochet, sew, 'travel around the world' via favourite blogs, drink coffee, laugh lots, cry some, discuss, enjoy my family over dinner, savour their delihghted faces when they are liking the food I made for them.

And here this first morning of the year we cut our New Year's cake. I used my mother's recipe, which is pretty much an orange-brandy-sponge cake covered with icing sugar. A delicious and very aromatic beginning trully.

It's also true that I treasure the thing I learned over the past year:
Every single thing done for the home, the cleaning, the budgeting, the mending, the crafting the cooking and baking..- its all 'worthy', and really the foundation of the family's greatest happiness and wealth.

Which brings me right back to my kitchen table which now I see as the very navel of our home life and joy.
(do you love your kitchen table?)

I hug you-

11 comments:

ELK said...

yes . yes . yes !

i just finished a year long project at the table...never had a cake that looked THAT yummy tho'

Laura said...

you have such an ability to focus on the things that matter. and i am so thankful for your wonderful way of noticing, seeing and being. happy new year, annamaria. you are such a light.

ps-the cake looks scrumptious!

vivienne strauss said...

that cake looks beautiful and I really enjoyed the post. I've gotten into the habit of treating cooking as just another dreaded chore that I have to get through. I will try to treat it with the decency and respect it deserves in the new year.

holly aka golly said...

Happy New Year, Annnamaria! I do love cooking a good meal. It is something that I treasure. It certainly takes time - but it is well worth it, I think, for all of the reasons you mentioned.

lisa s said...

oh yes. the kitchen in general is pretty important!

happy new year to you!

hmstrjam said...

Happy new year! the cake looks awesome!

caramela said...

Thank you dear lovely friends-
Annamaria xx

AnnaVallance said...

Have just discovered your blog and I agree with you wholeheartedly. I love my kitchen table - it is the one place where we all gather, to eat , to talk, to create or just to be together.

marie-louise said...

Clay and bakery, I love both!

andrea tachezy said...

Hmmm, yummy! Happy New year anna Maria!

Zoe of Sleepy Moon Design said...

Yum! ....