Friday, July 22, 2011

Elvira found out that she was the captain.

mixed media
8 x 10 inches

I borrowed the quote by W.E.Henley:
'I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.'
I realise how important the storytelling aspect is in my artwork,
and I am going to stick with it. At the same time, I want to create more
layered, textured images.
The girl's dress comes from a printed drawing I did last year,
It is a flower upside down. Which is how she often feels.
Vulnerable as a cut flower.
Storm raging.
The mirror shows pink. Soft.
And yet, ultimately, Elvira, soft, pink, flower and all,
is the captain,
and the sea is full of treasure,
if only she can stay still and collected now.
Not to blame the storm.
Storms happen.


Hugs-
Annamaria Potamiti





8 comments:

vivienne strauss said...

This is beautiful, Annamaria!

annamaria potamiti said...

Thank you Viv!XX

ELK said...

one of my favorite poems Anna, and your choice of painting is divine! love your birdy header too..happy weekend!!

annamaria potamiti said...

Thank you Elk.xx

Carole Reid said...

Elvira is lovely as captain. Enjoy the weekend.

belinda marshall said...

gorgeous! love the story telling too~ adds to the humour and depth at the same time :)

renilde said...

great work Annamaria!

Anonymous said...

wow - I love the stories to your work. keep them coming!